Skip to content
30 Days before you move…
- Gather packing materials: Bubble pack, unprinted paper, tape, marking pens, utility knife, rope, drop cloths, mattress and furniture covers, etc.
- Choose your boxes. Use small boxes for heavy items and large boxes for light items. Medium boxes work well for most things. Specialty boxes are great for china, mirrors, pictures, and clothes.
Start packing 3 Weeks before…
- Limit weight of each box to 35 lbs to protect your back. Fill boxes to capacity; partially full or bulging cartons may tip or collapse. Don’t pack fragile and heavy items in the same box.
- Identify contents and number each box. Make a reference list as you pack.
- Tape both ends of each box securely. Never “weave” the ends closed.
- Use bubble pack for breakables. Cushion each box with crumpled paper, top and bottom, and between layers.
- Hang clothes loosely in wardrobe boxes.
- Pack books flat and records on edge to prevent warping.
- Wrap pictures, mirror and glass tops with cushioned paper and crate. Wrap lamp shades and box separately.
- Disassemble bed frames, tables and other furniture when possible and wrap.
- Cover upholstered and wood furniture with cotton sheets, never use plastic or poly covering.